Rubber linings: a mineral processing asset in wear solutions
Mineral processing equipment is exposed to a lot or wear and tear. When purchasing processing equipment, finding the proper solution for your needs is paramount, but getting the most performance from your product is also a consideration.
There are two options for mill linings: high-density steel and rubber. You might think that steel, being pricier, is the obvious choice because it’s supposed to be durable. However, while it may last longer in favourable conditions, it’s not always the best choice. We’ll explain why.
Wear solutions for mineral processing come in many forms. Installing high-quality abrasion-resistant solutions and impact-resistant parts, will undeniably increase the lifespan of your conveyance hardware and equipment. Not only does this boost the performance, profitability and efficiency of your plant, it lowers your cost per processed ton as well.
That’s where rubber comes into play
Our ball mill linings do more than just protect your mill from the rigours of mineral processing. They also make grinding and crushing more efficient. What’s more, they’re designed from rubber or rubber composites, and we adapt them to your application and throughput requirements.
As part of our commitment to ongoing design improvements and impeccable service, our solutions come with the advantage of boosting grind efficiency and lasting longer between shutdowns.
State-of-the-art software-driven technology and design are used to customize your ball mill lining solutions, so we can make sure they perfectly suit your needs.
Chute Wear Solutions
Multotec’s impact-resistant liners include hard-wearing plates for transfer points and chutes in a conveyor system. They’re created to resist abrasion and impact from materials while also preventing spillage. Rubber wear plates can be created to suit any liner configuration. They’re available in standard thicknesses of 40–200 mm, with thinner plates available upon request. In addition, steel backing plates make attaching liners easier and prevent fines from seeping behind the liners.
What are the many advantages of our wear solutions for mineral processing?
First and foremost, they are designed for utmost efficiency. A few more of their many advantages:
- Rubber composite material linings (as well as basalt and alumina ceramic linings)
- High-velocity impact and sliding wear resistance.
- Prefabricated conveyance pipe solutions.
- Rubber liners weigh less than steel liners, so they cause less wear on bearings. This reduces downtime during installation and replacement and eliminates the need for a liner handler, improving production.
- Rubber has excellent sealing properties. This eliminates gold lock-up, boosting the inventory of valuable product.
- Increased throughput, as rubber liner virtually eliminates blinding in grate plates.
- Rubber mill liners reduce noise levels and improve working conditions. When exposed to dynamic strains, they absorb energy due to high internal losses, which means that the sound from a rubber surface is considerably dampened.
- Rubber liners dampen and minimize material impact, slowing wear on the cylinder.
- Unlike steel, rubber doesn’t rust in damp environments.
We also offer complimentary turnkey wear solutions, including abrasion auditing.
A specialist in the field
We are proud to have another specialist join us at our Montréal offices: David Hewitt, Senior Process Engineer. He can’t wait to advise you and help you find the perfect rubber lining solutions. David holds a Masters in Engineering, specifically in mineral processing “Exploring Abrasive Wear and Ore Breakage.” He also spent seven years working as a Plant/Primary Metallurgist, where he led initiatives to optimize the performance of semi-autogenous grinding (SAG) mill liners and make mill relining more efficient. David also has experience working with a major OEM. He worked with their turnkey maintenance solutions for mining companies, which included planning and executing overhauls and relines of major equipment for various mining companies. His experience makes him a definite asset to our team of mineral processing professionals!
Don’t hesitate to reach out to him if you have any questions.